Thursday 26 April 2012

Oh sweet vanity

I got my first poem published a few weeks ago, by a company named United Press. Of course I was elated, it was my first poem, my work had finally been noticed. I sent off another poem and a letter arrived saying they liked it but I didn't win the competition. It wasn't until my brother noted that the contents of the letter were word for word the same as the last. I had a niggling feeling about the whole company, using my google fu (my brother's term, not mine) and it turned out that United Press is pretty much a vanity publishing company, just no where near as obvious as the rest of them out there. I was fooled a first time, but now I wonder about letting them publish my poetry. It's a lesson well learnt early on, so there's no need to beat myself up over it. Still, I have a poem published, that counts for something....right?

No comments:

Post a Comment